Backup+OTA

Can anybody suggest an app for updating all the phone content?
Yesterday I received an OTA update and despite the backup using Meizu tool (desktop backup) I had to reinstall everything by hand…

Titanium and Easy backup require a rooted phone…Root = no OTA updates (?)

Why does root = no OTA updates? It shouldn’t affect that feature correct? Hmmm…

@‘OMGRonnie’ said:

Why does root = no OTA updates? It shouldn’t affect that feature correct? Hmmm…

I have no experience with Meizu but on some phones (like Nubia) OTA updates fail on rooted phones

if you conform that OTA+root is fine, my problem is solved :)

@‘plutus’ said:

if you conform that OTA+root is fine, my problem is solved :)

Ahh and there is the problem… I too am new to Meizu :P I haven’t even received my MX4 yet LOL

I would wait for someone to confirm this before assuming what I say is right. ;)

In the past i had a 3.5.2 rooted and OTA was not working… now working with 3.8.3 unrooted

@‘tony’ said:

In the past i had a 3.5.2 rooted and OTA was not working… now working with 3.8.3 unrooted

ok so it seems that rooting and OTA don’t match…so…how to make a full backup?

Just upgrade and reroot should work?

@‘zztop007’ said:

no, the point is that each upgrade requires a wipe = you lose all your data, settings, etc

Contributor

You can try Helium for backup… But no guarantees…

Most device manufacturers don’t allow OTA for rooted devices.
Cos the moment you root it you have access to change anything in the system partition. If the user has modified some file then not only will the file fail to patch (as the hash won’t match) but if some other part of update relies on a file that is changed you might end up with a boot loop. So OTAs are usually for completely stock firmware. You might be able to get a hold of the update.zip and manually run it in the recovery but it may or may not work…

When you install complete firmware zip you are basically replacing all the files with new ones rather than patching existing files…

Sadly Helium don’t work with MX4 at least. If someone find a way of using it please tell.

@‘plutus’ said:

@‘zztop007’ said:

no, the point is that each upgrade requires a wipe = you lose all your data, settings, etc

The ota shouldn’t have you wipe, should it? I wipe most because I want to be sure and because I go between A and I firmwares, but an ota should work without?

What I’m doing is. 1. Backup sms and stuff with the built in cloud. 2 the rest with titanium. I have probably reinstalled 10 times now.

@‘GreyGhost’ said:

You can try Helium for backup… But no guarantees…

Most device manufacturers don’t allow OTA for rooted devices.

how do you backup&restore your device?

@‘zztop007’ said:

Sadly Helium don’t work with MX4 at least. If someone find a way of using it please tell.

@‘plutus’ said:

@‘zztop007’ said:

The ota shouldn’t have you wipe, should it?

that’s what I expected but the 11/19 ota update obliged to make a wipe (errors when trying to input the sim-pin)

Ok. I didn’t use the ota on today’s update because I came from the A variant. I just wiped and restored with titanium and the built in backup. It’s pretty fast, takes an hour maybe.

Edit. I used the full version to reinstall to today’s I version.

Contributor

@plutus,
I don’t use too many apps so don’t need auto backup and restore. I usually use ES file manager to backup the apks and then reinstall them. However I think it won’t allow you to backup data without root.

NOTE: Following has never been tested by me:
There is another option. The adb backup command. Something like ‘adb backup -all -apk’ (with or without -system and -shared) “should” backup all apps and data.
And it can be resotred by 'adb restore’
However it is known to be slightly buggy cos Google doesn’t seem have worked on it much. Worth a try. Doesn’t require root.

PS. I was sure someone must have written a script / frontend for it… You can try this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36499906
As you can see even he warns that the backup manager in android may be a bit buggy. So for the first try keep a manual backup.

@GreyGhost that’s what Helium does and the charm is that you don’t need root. Sadly it doesn’t work on MX4 so it seems like the command is hampered somehow.

Contributor

@zztop007,
Adb drivers installed and adb debugging activated in developer settings i believe?

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.