Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ Reload ]

Meizu provides FlymeOs with Android 6.x to non Meizu devices!

As I have been informed by XDA, there are devices of other brands, like Lenovo, Nexus, Oneplus etc that can install the official FlymeOs 6 Rom from here: http://www.flyme.cn/firmware.html

All is good till here, but the most annoying part is that these Roms are based on Android 6.x, as you can see here from this Zuk Z1 photo.

So, from one side you have Meizu devices that receive Roms only with Android 5.1 and on the other side there are non-Meizu devices with official FlymeOs roms with Android 6.x

It’s really frustrating.

alt text

last edited by viper

This ROMs are not provided by Meizu but capable users who can use source here:
https://github.com/flymeos

No it’s wrong!
If you go on the page of firmware download you find the name of developer.
http://www.flyme.cn/firmwarelist-51.html#7 (use google translate)
In this case (Xiaomi Red Mi Mote 3) you can se 2 different versions as two developers toasted 2 different ROM.
Developers have nothing to do with Meizu, but they are users as me and you.
If you are able, you can compile your own rom; check here:
http://forum.flymeos.com/thread-7714-1-1.html

Still, why there are Roms for non Meizu devices and not for our devices?
If one developer can do it for one device, why he cannot prepare another Rom for us?

@viper said in Meizu provides FlymeOs with Android 6.x to non Meizu devices!:

Still, why there are Roms for non Meizu devices and not for our devices?
If one developer can do it for one device, why he cannot prepare another Rom for us?

I don’t know the technical implication, but I think that some part of drivers are not opensource. When I tried AOSP rom for Pro 5 fingerprints don’t works.

Admin

Entirely correct.
As long as some drivers are hard coded and undisclosed by their source its technically not possible to use them in a newer rom. I once had a talk with HondaRacer (ex-founder), who said that this was the failing part at Meizu.

The only way to solve this issue is to reverse engineer the drivers like faust93 did in CM14.1 for the Pro 5. He created his own fingerprint driver based upon a legacy one, if I am not mistaken.

In my opinion Meizu shouldn’t have used “liberal” suppliers like Samsung combined with ones created closed source drivers only as seen with the audio chip used in the Pro 5.

Some might think:
“Why doesn’t Meizu just reverse engineer their drivers?”

The answer is simple and frustrating: Because they can’t.

Reverse engineering is a relatively complex task depending on what you are trying to do. Just yesterday for instance I had to reverse engineer a part of my cars ECU software, so I could read out the PIN over my tool (was possible to flash the EEPROM). Alone this task took me around 2-3h as I was inexperienced with this.

In Meizu’s case it could be familiar. Developers might know what is inside their Flyme code, but trying to understand something you didn’t created is a hard task, especially in relation to drivers which are fairly the hardest thing you can code (see ReactOS Project as a reference).

Meizu m3s

The first developer, haohao3344, is part of the meizu firmware development team. I could not find anything about the second developer but his works seems to be discontinued.

So all models of Meizu (M1 Note, M2 etc) have the same problem with drivers?
Some of these models don’t have fingerprint scanners for example.
It’s not easier for these models to find the requested drivers?

Admin

The problem with these devices is the MTK chipset. Some of them might perform even worse when upgrading their base version.

At this point MTK has been a disaster for Meizu as MediaTek doesn’t provides source code.

However, due to the “little investment” of several hundred of millions, Meizu doesn’t cares about it.

last edited by Rey

Looks like your connection to Meizu provides FlymeOs with Android 6.x to non Meizu devices! was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.