Bootloop while downgrading

Hello, I’m new to the forums so I apologize in advance if there has been a topic with this exact problem, but I browsed and couldn’t find a solution (or tried and failed).

Namely, I had problems with the latest m2 firmware (when people would call me, I was unavailable, and a minute later I would receive a sms that I had a missed call), and I decided to downgrade to 4.5.4.
This was not my first downgrade, so I kind of knew what I was doing.

I copied the update.zip to the root folder, pressed vol+ and power, entered recovery mode, ticked update and clear data, and clicked start. After updating the phone would restart and I would return to the recovery mode again. This time, I just ticked restart, and I got stuck in bootloop (flyme icon would show).

In panic, I used (for the first time though) adb from a guide on this forum, and copied recovery.img , and now when I enter recovery mode while connected to my PC, I get a 0.99GB recovery partition. When I copy an update (tried 4.5.4 and 5.1.5 also), and to the update, I still get stuck in bootloop (flyme icon).

Any ideas/suggestion what should I try to get my phone working? Thanks in advance.

last edited by nerdzhul
Meizu m3s

How long did you wait when for it to loop. It sometimes need to take longer. Which firmwares are you at and downgrading to? Unlocked bootloader, get a custom recovery and try the custom roms, they won’t disappoint you.

last edited by Scorpiony Knifet

I waited for more than two hours.
I was at 5.1.11 or 5.1.12 I think, and trying to downgrade to 4.5.4.

When I start the phone now, it has the old meizu logo (which is on 4.5.4), but after that, it’s still stuck on the flyme logo.

Meizu m3s

Any chance you could give me a link to adb guide? So i can check what you have done. And have you replaced the recovery.img with another, through fastboot, need unlocked bootloader ofcourse.

last edited by Scorpiony Knifet

Thanks for the replies!

I’ll try to find the guide, was on incognito mode so browser didn’t save history :(

I remember doing the following:

I installed adb, and copied a recovery.img to adb folder. I know I entered fastboot (power and vol-), and then I typed in the command prompt something like “adb recocery recovery.img” I think. And then I got the 0.99GB partition. I copied the update.zip to that partition and tried to install, and got stuck in bootloop again.

I’m downloading a custom ROM now, will try it, and see how it goes.

Meizu m3s

Make sure you have a custom recovery. The custom recovery cannot install official meizu firmware.

I’ve tried to flash custom recovery, but I failed. Here’s what I did:

• downloaded “TWRP_3.0.2_M2M.img”, and placed it in the adb folder.
  • connected phone to PC, started in fastboot.
  • typed “fastboot devices” in the prompt, got:
    “88UKBMD224PJ fastboot”

Next, i typed: “fastboot flash recovery C:\adb\TWRP_3.0.2_M2M.img”, and got the following:

sending ‘recovery’ (15082 KB)…
OKAY [ 1.451s]
writing ‘recovery’…
FAILED (remote: download for partition ‘recovery’ is not allowed)
finished. total time: 1.454s

I don’t know if my bootloader is unlocked, so then I typed “fastboot oem unlock” and after pressing vol+ got the following:

(bootloader) Start unlock flow
FAILED (remote: Unlock operation is not allowed)
finished. total time: 5.960s

Any ideas what am I doing wrong?

Meizu m3s

You cannot unlock meizu phones through fastboot. This is why i emphasized that you must have a unlocked bootloader. It is a bit late but here, https://forum.meizufans.eu/topic/5242/full-how-to-meizu-m2-mini-root-adb-unlock-bootloader-twrp-recovery-and-cm-12-1

I hope by “it’s a bit late” you don’t mean there is no more hope for this phone.

I’ll see what I can do with that guide (if there is anything that can be done now that is).

Thank you again for the replies!

Meizu m3s

Don’t run out of hope. Try installing the newest beta verison, if you tried every other firmwares. :D keep track which firmwares you tried.

Just an update: After no luck in installing multiple versions of Flyme, I found out that there is an official Meizu service center in my country. I’ve sent them the phone, and 3 days later I received it back wiht 5.1.9.0Y, working. The repair was $20 thought, but certainly better than buying a new phone.

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.