Tired of Flyme? Try a custom rom!
- Pro 5 (no matter if chinese or international)
- Backups of your files
- USB Cable
- Computer (preferably Windows)
- Time and concentration
1. Changing region ID
This can be skipped, if you use an international device. Proceed with step 2.
Downgrade to Flyme 18.104.22.168A with clear data option.
Get root access over the Settings.
Open SuperSU and grant it root privileges, choose “Normal”, when installing. Reboot after it succeeded.
Open SuperSU app again and verify it is working. Now open BusyBoxthe BusyBox app.
Download & install Terminal Emulator.
Download this file and move it to /sdcard.
Execute the following commands in the Terminal:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/proinfo of=/sdcard/proinfo-MeizuPRO5-backup.img
/system/xbin/busybox cp -f /sdcard/proinfo-MeizuPro5-M576_intl_official.img /dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/proinfo
Reboot. Your device should now be converted.
2. Unlock the bootloader
- Download & install this firmware with clear data.
- Turn the device off after you booted once and press Volume Down + Power.
- Your device is now in fastboot mode.
- Open up the ADB Terminal and issue these commands:
fastboot oem unlock
- Your device should now tell you that your fastboot is unlocked.
3. Flashing TWRP
- Download TWRP 3.0 to your PC.
- Move the file into C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
- While your device is in fastboot mode enter this:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP_3.0_m86.img
- After the flash completed successfully you can reboot your device by holding the power button for 8s.
Flyme recovery is now gone. Whenever you want to boot into recovery now the TWRP recovery will appear.
If you want to install a Flyme firmware it is recommended to flash these 2 files in TWRP:
- Unlocked Bootloader
- Stock recovery
Even though the topic on XDA says you only need to install the Unlocked Bootloader file, I still would recommend to use the stock recovery as well.
4. Choosing & installing the custom rom
faust93 made 2 great roms for the Pro 5.
You can either use CM12 or decide for ResurrectionRemix (CM13).
I personally use CM13 with the Flyme 4.5 RIL as it gave me the best connection.
Be sure to donate to him, if you enjoy his work.
- Download the one of the roms and boot into the recovery (if you didn’t do that already).
- Download the GApps ARM64 nano package.
- Wipe the system, cache and data partition.
- Go and select to install the custom rom, but before proceeding add an additional zip file (TWRP offers a possiblity to install multiple zip files at once).
- Select the GApps package and proceed the installation.
Bonus - Ubuntu Phone
Ever wanted to use Ubuntu on your Pro 5?
- Create a folder on your device, e.g. “Ubuntu”.
- Download all of these files and move them into the previously created folder.
- Wipe your data, cache (dalvik/ART as well) and system partition over TWRP.
- Install the kernel zip file.
- Open up a Terminal (Advanced>Terminal) in TWRP and issue these commands:
tar -xf /external_sd/ubuntu*.tar.xz
tar -xf /external_sd/device*.tar.xz
tar -xf /external_sd/custom*.tar.xz
tar -xf /external_sd/version*.tar.xz
- Reboot and enjoy Ubuntu!
If you want to update Ubuntu download the files over its OTA updater. They will be saved into /cache/recovery.
Simply issue the commands above with the new files. It is not necessary to wipe anything of course.