Xiaomi MiPad - Review
Administrator

We all love Meizu and their products, but unfortunately there is no Meizu tablet.
Sad… but there are alternatives! Just like the 16GB MiPad from Xiaomi, sent to us from Merimobiles.

But let’s start with some basic facts.

The MiPad has a 7.9 inch LG screen with a resolution of 2048x1536 with 326PPI, weights 360g, is 8.5mm thin and offers stereo speakers and comes shipped in a “paper” styled box,
including a power adapter, USB cable and little opener for the expansion bay, just like some chinese manuals. Actually nothing special.

On the front we have a 5MP camera and on the rear an 8MP one, both are able to record videos with a solution up to 1080p and offer a great image quality.

The tablet is powered by a quad core NVidia Tegra K1 with 2,2GHz, a 192 core CUDA GPU, 2GB DDR3 RAM and a 6700mAh battery allowing the tablet to perform up to 8.5h under continuous usage.

Of course the tablet has OTG and Bluetooth as well, but unfortunately there is no NFC and GPS.
However, this might only be a problem for people who are using their tablets as navigation system or similar.
And for those who have problems with 16GB storage can simply buy the 64GB version or get a 128GB micro SD card and put it in the expansion bay.

You are also able to get the MiPad in several colors, like white, green, blue, yellow or red.

Now to the look and feel.

The MiPad looks actually very good, even with the glossy plastic body.
But this is going to change as soon as you touch it.
Not that the build quality is bad, but the body just feels cheap, another problem is the razor sharp volume button, which feels really uncomfortable.
Maybe we had bad luck and catched a bad part.

After we charged the tablet a bit up, we booted it right away and were surprised how easy it is to use it. Even if we are used to the Flyme UI, MIUI makes you feel comfortable. The only negative points we found are that the Play Store is missing (not Xiaomi’s fold) and there are some chinese text parts in the UI, just like some bugs in the long run test, which got fixed after an update of MIUI. Cutting it short – you can use the MiPad right away like it is.

Before we are going to the performance test we would like to point out the good speakers, which offer a clear and loud stereo sound that is very unusual in this price range, and the fantastic screen offering a fantastic image, which is sharp and having a great view angles with strong colors.

Time to test the performance and install some games. In our test, this is going to be Asphalt 8, Real Racing 3 and Modern Combat 5.

All three apps start and run butter smooth. No matter how high we turn the graphics, the MiPad is not lagging nor is it giving any big heat.

Browsing websites isn’t a problem as well, due to the fast CPU, which renders them pretty fast, same goes for HD video playback.

This gets proved by the Antutu score of over 39.031/40.265 points, which is close to Xiaomi’s results of 41.000 points and even beats a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
Some of you could think know: “But the battery has only 6700mAh, how can it lasts so long and gives such a performance?”, well NVidia’s new SoC is trimmed to be power efficient, which we were able to see many times. The MiPad made nearly two days at normal usage (listen to music, taking pictures, etc.), which is for such a “small” battery very good. Some tablets with 7.000mAh rarely make a day. The stand by consumption is average.

Let us explain the CPU a bit further – it is a “4+1” CPU.
4 cores of the CPU use the Cortex A15 technology, which makes the system ultra-efficient and powerful the +1 stands for a companion core (around 500MHz), which is doing the less power consuming jobs (background tasks/small apps).
Basically this core is the reason why the pad can run so high and power efficient.

Coming to a conclusion we think that the MiPad might be a real alternative for those who want a tablet to their Meizu device. With a price of 290$ for the 16GB variant and 330$ for the 64GB variant, it is a real alternative for Meizu fans, **but only if some criteria **apply.
Like, you don’t need NFC or GPS and also have no problems with the missing flash for the cam and cheap feeling plastic body.

Putting it into a straight comparison with an iPad WiFi-only edition, the MiPad clearly beats it and if you put it in a price/performance relation the MiPad is twice as good.

If you aren’t disturbed by the criteria and just want a fast and reliable tablet to check your mails, watch movies, browse websites and play some games, the MiPad is definitely right for you and so we can recommend it to 100%.

Again, thanks to Merimobiles for sending us the MiPad!

Nice review.
Actually i really dont know no GSM and no GPS is a big flaw. So you limited to use this mostly at home.

At home i kinda have no real use for a tablet at home. What ppl do with a tablet anyway ? Reading, suft the net, read emails watch some movies play a bit ?
At home i watch Movies with TV, play games with PC, emails and internet with PC or cubietruck.
If i want to surf the net on couch i have a netbook thats seems more usefull to me for the things you cant do with a tablet ( and was even cheaper aswell ).

But i will agree, if u want a tablet for home use the Xiaomipad is quite nice.

Contributor

Nice review… Hopefully the tegra k1 will make its way to some phones too (maybe one of the meizus…)
Personally i never need a high end tablet. I have a BB Playbook which suffices my need for reading and a few videos once in a while…

Administrator

I ordered myself an Onda V975w, which should arrive next week (national days in china).

I think that might be really interesting, because it uses Windows 8.1 (no RT) and comes with Office 365. So it has a real use.

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.