Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!

• [Tutorial] Dual Booting Cyanogenmod and Ubuntu Touch on Android Version MX4

Special thanks to rr4m for providing the Russian tutorial and files.
    EDIT: OTA 10.1 was uploaded by original provider rr4m. Many thanks.

Yes you read correctly, you can install ubuntu touch on a normal MX4. This method is not a native install (because native installation is not possible without resizing the system partition - this will be another tutorial, just wait). Instead, it copies the ubuntu system.img (and a swap.img) to the userdata partition and mounts it there. So lets get started:

Prerequisites:

Installation is very straightforward. I will be using the newest ubuntu OTA update files (OTA 9 as of writing).
    (There is now OTA 10.1

• Before copying the files to your phone, I suggest replacing the boot.img in the mx4_switch_to_cyan12.1-20151213.zip with the one provided with your cyanogenmod installation zip
      alt text
    • Re-zip the contents and then copy all the files to your device
      alt text
    • Reboot into recovery and install the mx4_install_ubuntu_ota9-dualboot-20160206.zip zip
    • After the installation is complete (do not reboot yet), flash the mx4_switch_to_ubuntu_ota9-20160206.zip
    • Boot the device, you should boot into Ubuntu touch. First boot may take a while, just wait patiently and then go through the usual setup.
    • When you want to boot into Cyanogenmod, you need to boot your device into recovery mode and flash the mx4_switch_to_cyan12.1-20151213.zip zip (which you modified to have your specific boot.img of course).

And that’s basically it! There is also an uninstall zip included (mx4_uninstall_ubuntu-20160206.zip), use this if you no longer want ubuntu touch (be sure to flash Cyanogenmod boot.img with the mx4_switch_to_cyan12.1-20151213.zip zip before uninstalling)

It should be noted that OTA updates in Ubuntu shouldn’t technically work but be safe, do not try to update via OTA!

I will be writing a tutorial soon for NATIVE installation of Ubuntu touch (this includes partition resizing -> VERY dangerous)

Custom kernels for the MX4?

• @meh301 said:

Yes you read correctly, you can install ubuntu touch on a normal MX4. This method is not a native install (because native installation is not possible without resizing the system partition - this will be another tutorial, just wait).

YES YES YES ! I am waiting for the second tutorial.
    Thank to the community who working on this. Thank you so much

(I will also wait my first paid internships before attempting anything, in case I break the phone I will buy a pro 5 ubuntu edition or a new motherboard)

• This is very cool ! But how to update the ubuntu rom (how to use the script) ?

• @Magic_Sowap I couldn’t get the script to work, I will probably write my own soon enough. Right now I have a lot of work to do so my next tutorial is delayed sadly.

• @robin4002 I sadly have too much work at the moment so I have to delay writing the next tutorial until mid week next week (hopefully)

• I am waiting for a way to install Ubuntu Touch on Flyme MX4 for month, so a week or two week more is nothing :D
    Take your time !

• Hello, Can you please give me the unlock bootL.hack files because the link is dead on the tutorial page for phase 1 in this process.

• Would it not be easier just to do a video tutorial ?, I dont understand why there are none on the web except for a russian you tube video that is not very clear except for if your russian that is.

• Great job guys. ;)
    you can use the dual boot on Flyme and Ubuntu Touch?
    I do not love the Cyanogen.

https://www.facebook.com/SalwosGSM

• Great Tutorial!!
    Ubuntu touch OTA 10 with great features has just been released! Do you by any chance have a copy or do you know how to download the image for us with Android!
    Thank you

• @ckonstantinos I was supposed to be working on it but then studies happened…

• I have a couple of questions…!!

1- this is only, for meizu mx4 Android Edition or can be installed on Flyme Edition Too.?
    2- IF is for flyme ( praying yes ,yes ,yes ) need to downgrade to a specific firmware…?
    3 - once , unlocked the bootloader, can we install any rom to finish the process or must be Cyanogenmod only.
    4 - IF something goes wrong, can we revert the process…? – Go back to flyme or android…?

Thanks in advance,
    P.S.
    Am dying to install Ubuntu on my Meizu mx4 32GB Flyme Edition. 5.1.3.0A

• @zencacu android version means flyme version.

I haven’t tested with another main system installed, only tried CyanogenMod. Feel free to try, there shouldn’t be any issues as long as you have unlocked bootloader and custom recovery

Posts 77Views 15139

Looks like your connection to [Tutorial] Dual Booting Cyanogenmod and Ubuntu Touch on Android Version MX4 was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.