Deciding to get the Meizu Pro 5 - Help Appreciated :)

Hey guys, I am seriously considering getting this phone and just have a few reservations. I would really appreciate some input from users who have had some experience with it.

1. I’ve heard great things about battery life. Can you confirm this? Specifically, how much screen on time do you usually get (without gaming) and standby battery loss overnight with Wi-Fi switched on (in terms of percentage drop)?
  2. I don’t have any experience with Flyme so I’d like to know what your experience is like with it in terms of responsiveness? I quite like the look of the interface after checking out some videos but since I am coming from a Note 4 and absolutely hate Samsung’s laggy software, I’d really like to have a phone that runs smoothly and doesn’t have this problem anymore. Some real world usage experience after a couple of months would be appreciated!
  3. Is the software well optimised? Because I heard that Flyme may have some issues with multi-tasking where previous apps often get closed when you switch to a new app. Is this true or are those users just not familiar with how to switch between apps properly with Flyme’s interface? After all, with 3GB or 4GB of RAM, it shouldn’t really have much issues multi-tasking and keeping several apps running in the background unless there are optimisation issues.
  4. Finally, I am not very familiar with Meizu. What is their track record in terms of keeping their phones updated with the latest Android? Can we expect Marshmallow or even Android N possibly?

So that’s about it, any help would be greatly appreciated!

@marcolorenzo
Okay, let’s go point to point

1. The battery life is really good, for example, I use my PRO 5 with Waze as GPS and I got from 100% to 0% and I got around 10 hours of screen on time using location services and 4G and with idle we have more of the same, usually, my battery can last around 2 to 3 days
  2. Flyme OS is pretty heavy customized, not as much as TouchWiz but is something to consider. I personally don’t like it in some aspect, in others I love it although in terms of performance is flawless, runs really smooth but you have to get used to it
  3. Flyme OS have a lot of bloatware that can pretty easily be removed, since root access can be aquired with one click.
    There is no longer problem with multi-tasking you just have to get used to Flyme OS and how it works, I can have on my PRO 5, 4Gb RAM version, 8 or 7 apps open in the background and multitask between then with no problem
  4. We are waiting for Marshmallow and we will probably get Android N as well, just give them sometime
  1. Confirm good battery life. Didn’t exactly count the numbers in different usage situations but, sure you will end up at least a day with battery whatever you do.
  2. Flyme in terms of smoothness and features is very good and I should say much better than touchwiz. But, remember that Flyme OS is a growing android UI so, there maybe some features that you may see in other android UIs that Flyme does not have them and see some useful stuff that only Flyme has them. But, they are in process of improving it in every part.
  3. It’s well optimized but, could not say it’s without any bug. It has some small bugs sometimes with new updates but, not as bad as what you mentioned which was issue with version 4 (Flyme 4) not in version 5 (Flyme 5), there are very small bugs which you may not even notice them and usually in Global roms not Chinese one. I have 3gb version with no problem on multi-tasking and … .
  4. They will update their phone but, don’t expect anything about when they will do it. It may take much longer than other brands like samsung.

Hey Asiier and sors, thanks a lot for your replies. This is pretty much what I wanted to hear. Looks like I’ll be joining your ranks very soon!

last edited by marcolorenzo
Contributor

@sors the global = Chinese firmware… So if you say the global has some bugs but the Chinese doesn’t … Then it’s awkward.

@Ultrametric Maybe it was because, I used 2 different versions of global and Chinese rom.

Contributor

@sors that explains it :)

Global just has the playstore out of the box some more languages and a slightly modified build.prop… But non of this is enough to make a real difference

@Ultrametric Thanks for the clarification! It’s a bit strange that “Global” is the Chinese version and “International” is…International…maybe someone should tell them that both words basically mean the same thing :P
Anyway, I’m still a little confused. So the M576U is the Chinese version and M576 is the International? How come I also heard about a M576H? Which is which?
And according to gsmarena, in terms of 3G, one version has TD-SCDMA 1880 / 2010 only and the other only has HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 (even though they labeled both version as M576). Is this true? I’m guessing the Chinese version is the TD-SCDMA? If that’s the case then I guess I must get the international version since I don’t really care about LTE but I need at least a functioning HSPA+ in Germany.
Can you please clarify this for me and suggest a good vendor for Germany/Europe? I’m leaning towards meizuworld but I’m pretty sure they only stock the Chinese version.

Contributor

@marcolorenzo m576H is the global.

International doesn’t exist anymore.

M576 is the public Chinese, all others are carrier branded Chinese versions.

Just get it from an official re-seller.
Be careful to get a real global phone.

This are all official agents for Meizu, only these sell the global phone: http://www.meizu.com/en/wheretobuy.html

And about the bands and frequencies… be careful there is TDD-LTE and FDD-LTE, don’t get confused by it. FDD-LTE is what we use in Europe.
So instead of stating a frequency it’s better to go for the “bands”… as a frequency may be misleading.

That’s all i have to write, I am sure someone else will tell you more.

last edited by Ultrametric

@Ultrametric said:

@marcolorenzo m576H is the global.

International doesn’t exist anymore.

M576 is the public Chinese, all others are carrier branded Chinese versions.

Just get it from an official re-seller.
Be careful to get a real global phone.

This are all official agents for Meizu, only these sell the global phone: http://www.meizu.com/en/wheretobuy.html

And about the bands and frequencies… be careful there is TDD-LTE and FDD-LTE, don’t get confused by it. FDD-LTE is what we use in Europe.
So instead of stating a frequency it’s better to go for the “bands”… as a frequency may be misleading.

That’s all i have to write, I am sure someone else will tell you more.

Thanks a lot, you’ve been more than helpful! Well the site you listed doesn’t have a German reseller but I guess I can try one of the other ones from Italy or France for example.
One of the shops I was looking at previously was honorbuy which seemed to be reputable. According to their Q&A section, someone asked what bands does the phone support and they seemed to suggest that both FDD-LTE and TDD-LTE are supported. Is this possible or are they mislead? You can find it here under 2015-11-07.

Both fdd and tdd are supported but they are not cross compatible e.g if the phone supports tdd band 7 it doesn’t mean that it will support fdd band 7 and since we use fdd only, tdd band suport is irrelevant to us. So just make sure that all of the bands that you need are supported.

@Dysync I feel kind of embarrassed to keep getting confused about this but are you saying that there is a version of the Pro 5 that only supports FDD and a version that only supports TDD? As Ultrametric mentioned, there is the M576H (Global) and the M576 (Chinese public) so I just need a M576H right and that will support FDD? And if I buy from an official reseller like meizu.it then it should be the M576H? On their website, they only mentioned the supported frequencies but not the bands.

@marcolorenzo said:

@Dysync I feel kind of embarrassed to keep getting confused about this but are you saying that there is a version of the Pro 5 that only supports FDD and a version that only supports TDD? As Ultrametric mentioned, there is the M576H (Global) and the M576 (Chinese public) so I just need a M576H right and that will support FDD? And if I buy from an official reseller like meizu.it then it should be the M576H? On their website, they only mentioned the supported frequencies but not the bands.

No, both models support both fdd and tdd lte

@Dysync but both you and Ultrametric told me that I need to be careful and pick the version that support the bands I need (FDD in my case being in Germany) but if both versions support both FDD and TDD then why do I need to be careful? I don’t need to get the Global version and can get the Chinese version too right?

@marcolorenzo said:

@Dysync but both you and Ultrametric told me that I need to be careful and pick the version that support the bands I need (FDD in my case being in Germany) but if both versions support both FDD and TDD then why do I need to be careful? I don’t need to get the Global version and can get the Chinese version too right?

Well there have been many people that bought meizu phones and only realised that a few of the bands that they need are supported which resulted in spoty coverage or no 4g/3g at all.

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.