Enabling LTE Bands? (e.g. Band 20, which is supported by the processor itself)

Hey Guys,
Is there a way to unlock the LTE Band 20? Since were using the Exynos processor it should be supported (Unlike most Media Teck processors).

I cant rly imagine that different frequencies need different antennas.

Contributor

@CrossCroissant I think that MTK coudl support it too… the problem is Meizu.

Meizu just doesn’t enable it. And unless Meizu releases a Software update you can do nothing.

Meizu could have released the global MX5 last year with B20, they didn’t do it either. The problem is just Meizu not MTK.

last edited by Ultrametric

I would like to have B20 lte frequency also in my M2 mini with MT 6735/which officialy support B20/
skipping these frequencies is really strange “policy” and seems that Xiaomi has same policy…

You can try to dial in your phone ##4636## and under phone infomation there is certain bands you can enable/disable and perhaps you got there b20 like you want

Damn… Only got B1, B3, B7, B38, B39, B40, B41 in the menu…

I got an unlimited LTE tariff and now im stuck at HSDPA+… About 5bmits in my area :(

I’m really sick of these ‘unlock band x’ questions. The truth is if it was that simple as you think, the phone would support those bands, but this isn’t the case.
Phones have many components that handle communications e.g modem, antennas, amplifiers, filters etc. A lot of things go into making all of these to work at each band and the guys doing it are RF engineers. Their work is extremely complicated and time consuming and most importantly they’re expensive. Since there are so many bands and RF standards in the world, most chinese company’s just go for the support for the main ones to reduce costs.
If you were to enable an unsupported band on a phone (which I have previously done) you would be almost guaranteed to experience problems with reception, signal, battery drain etc.
So since chinese company’s can only compete by making imperfect phones because hardware costs are the same for all companys they cut corners here.
And no, they can’t just simply ship a phone with support for ‘not designed for’ bands because all RF emitting devices have to pass testing at institutions like FCC, Tenna etc…

So I guess next time just buy a phone that supports the bands you need.

last edited by Dysync
Contributor

@Dysync I fully get your point. And I am sorry to tell you… people will ask the same question over and over… there is little to do about it.

Thanks for your input!

Do you really know/ think that Chinese companies test the hardware they ship out? Or more precise, pay to get the hardware tested?

last edited by Ultrametric

@Ultrametric said:

@Dysync I fully get your point. And I am sorry to tell you… people will ask the same question over and over… there is little to do about it.

Thanks for your input!

Do you really know/ think that Chinese companies test the hardware they ship out? Or more precise, pay to get the hardware tested?

They have to, it’s a basic requirement. Also they have to send each product samples for other agencies to test them to get certifications, without certifications they cannot sell devices in that region. e.g FCC in US, TENAA in China.
And they really take that stuff seriously because it’s very important that devices work between the standards set or else there could be big interferance problems.

Wow, I’m sorry for aksing…

I just found some articles for Xiaomi. They managed to unlock more LTE Bands (Band 20 too).

I looked up in the MX4 Threads and didn’t find a lot of threads. People we’re asking if it’s possible but most times nobody answered.

Since someone did it for Xiaomi and every Qualcomm Processor I thought there is a way for the Meizu…

But still I’m very sorry for bothering you with that question… I’m new in this forum and since there was no Thread for this processor I though there should be one.

Every device is different. Maybe there was no way for the MX4 Pro, but there could be a way for the Pro 5. So if somebody has new information please feel free to post…

Sorry but there is no way at the point, if they ever will be you find it in our FAQ.

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.