Problem with WIFI Network

Hi

Recently the company i have my home cable connection with has launched a free wifi service than u can use everywhere.

They use home cable modems to create a wifi network for all their customers, u just need to find this wifi network, set it up on your device and use it.

The thing is that i can´t use it with my Meizu MX3, although i can use my own home wifi connection with my own cable modem that uses 802.11b/g/n.:-/

I checked the FAQ and they say it won´t work with devices using only the 802.11.b standard, as far as i know the MX3 uses 802.11b/g/n, so it should work fine (note what i said about my home wifi network), it is also the same standard the Xperia Z uses, i tryed with this smartphone and it works perfectly fine.

Also i have to add this Wifi Network it´s a PEAP/MSCHAPV2 network, i attached a screenshot of how to configure it, it is in spanish but it´s good enough to understand it.

Can u guys gimme me a clue of how to make it work

I have some question about Wifi aswell.
The MX3 should support 5GHz Wifi but if i enable 5Ghz Wifi on my router the MX3 does not find it.
Its also connects with slow speed on the 2,4 GHz Wifi.

Is there some option i need to change or how can i get 5GHz wifi work ?

@cesarleeds go to Settings --> Wi-Fi --> More --> Add network --> Security and select ‘802.1x EAP’.

@MeizuAndi although I don’t have problems with connecting to WiFi networks, the reception on my MX3 is very poor which results in low download speeds. I wonder if anybody else experiences this, since I’ve heard nobody complaining about it.

[attachment=441] [attachment=440]

Contributor

@‘HondaRacer’ said:

@cesarleeds go to Settings --> Wi-Fi --> More --> Add network --> Security and select ‘802.1x EAP’.

@MeizuAndi although I don’t have problems with connecting to WiFi networks, the reception on my MX3 is very poor which results in low download speeds. I wonder if anybody else experiences this, since I have heard no body complaining about it.

Yeah I had always noticed poorer signal on my MX3 when I’m outside my room (which has the router) compared to my BB Playbook… I have a 2.4 Ghz router not 5 Ghz though…

But haven’t bothered much cos I’m at my room most of the time :P

Administrator

Maybe you guys use the wrong WiFi channel.

Unfortunately I am not at home these days so I can not tell you which is the best one.

However, maybe you want to consider to play a bit arround with the WiFi setup of your routers.

Well my router (Fritzbox 7390) can do 2,4 GHz Wifi and 5 GHz Wifi. He can also setup booth with different Wifi name.

I testet today and it works now. however the 2,4 GHz only connects with 64Mbit/s while the 5Ghz gives 149Mbit/s.
Reciption is not that good in the next room already.with 2,4 Ghz. However with 5Ghz its very good says exelent.
The MX3 is the 1st Wifi device i own that uses the 5Ghz Wifi.

@AOKP
My router switches to the best channel if other Wifis around and use the same. I can also see in the webgui of my router what Wifi and witch channel they use and set one also.

Contributor

@‘AOKP’ said:

Maybe you guys use the wrong WiFi channel.

Unfortunately I am not at home these days so I can not tell you which is the best one.

However, maybe you want to consider to play a bit arround with the WiFi setup of your routers.

No i am using a channel which is completely free…
The thing is that the mx3 gets a signal strength of -66 dBm whereas a galaxy s4 kept right next to it gets -48 dBm…

@GreyGhost
With 5Ghz signal strength is much better then with 2,4 GHZ. Dont know why. Then again no other wifis at 5Ghz around ;) On 2,4 Ghz i have 2-4 other weak ones around but as i said my router switches channel and choose the best where the other wifis do not disturb.

Administrator

The channel is not that important for the connection strength.

Usually some phones (like the iPhone) need sometimes a special one, because their shitty WiFi is only capable for that channel with the seted frequency (at least my brother had this problem).

By the way, I use a Cisco Linksys E3500 and so far every phone worked with it (yes also a MX3).
The signal strength of it was on nearly all phones identical.
Except the MX3 and Nexus 4, both had a very, very, very strong connection.

@‘MeizuAndi’ said:

I have some question about Wifi aswell.
The MX3 should support 5GHz Wifi but if i enable 5Ghz Wifi on my router the MX3 does not find it.
Its also connects with slow speed on the 2,4 GHz Wifi.

Is there some option i need to change or how can i get 5GHz wifi work ?

I have the same problems, but now i know that i’m not only…

I dont know, somehow my MX3 did find it since my wifes mx3 did not. I think you have to delete the old 2,4GHz connection from the MX3.
After that diable the 2,4 Ghz Wifi and only enable the 5Ghz one. I also gave the 5Ghz an other name since this was possible with my router.

You can also try to add the Wifi manually. However i have now booth networks running. The MX always connects to the 2,4 GHz Wifi first but sees also the 5Ghz one and i can switch to 5GHz just by clicking on the other name of the 5Ghz Wifi.

I think havenig booth modes on the same time causes trouble somehow. My 2,4 GHz Wifi stick on my Mediaplayer now does not connect to the 2,4 GHz wifi by default when the 5Ghz is on too. I always have to check network with it to enable it.
When the 5Ghz Wifi is off the mediaplayer connects to 2,4Ghz by default again.

Administrator

5GHz is a pile of poo, if you ask me. While I am in my house and garden I have WiFi in every corner.
2,4GHz does that job perfectly.

And by the way, it should only cause problems if the 5GHz and 2,4GHz channels have the same name. However, I never saw a router allowing that both have the same name.

And for those saying 2,4GHz is slower:
Since 802.11n it goes up to 600MB/s.

The main problem at 5GHz are the license restrictions (happens if you vote for EU), which cause a low range and so connection problems. But this mostly is the case if the router has no TPC (many haven’t it).

In my eyes (HIPERLAN/4) HIPERLINK or HIPERACCESS might be future technologys to IEEE 802.11.

My Fritzbox 7390 from avm does allow the same name of the Wifi at 2,4 and 5 Ghz. At 2,4 Ghz the MX 3 connects with 60 Mbit/s while with 5Ghz it conects with 150 Mbit/s
My wifi stick goes up to 250Mbits on the mediaplayer on 2,4Ghz.

Never saw 2,4 Ghz with 600MB /s also not with 600Mbit/s.
I know Wifi AC can go up quite high. most Wifi N Routers are limited to 300 Mbit/s some should have 450 i heard. However you only get 300 Mbits/s with two antennas and mostly only downlink.

Administrator

I have a Cisco E3200 with 300MB/s on both channels and I also had an EA4500 (gave it to a friend), which had 450MB/s for 2,4GHz and 450MB/s for 5GHz.

And by the way, I recommend remaing your WiFi networks like I did.

For me 2,4GHz has the SSID CISCO1, while 5GHz is named CISCO2.

They are named differently.

Cisco, for real ? I think i did read about security issues with em on Heise.de same for Linksys.
Mostly relabeld China hardware. Dont know but i think US companys have a hard time after the NSA scandals now.

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.