For all those with a weird IMEI...
Meizu MX4 Pro

Well. A promise is a promise. This post is for those who have an strange IMEI due to an improper manipulation of certain fellows. Hope this will help them to recover the functionality they missed for this.
If you take this path, is your own decision. I do not take any responsibility if you finish with your phone bricked.
First of all, the proper caveats. What I am going to explain is not 100% sure it will not ruin your phone. There are zillions of configurations, circumstances and also users that can lead to different results.
As first and last line of defense, put the “update.zip” that fits your actual Flyme in the root of your SD card. Just in case
Cancel all passwords and fingerprints and security keys. If things goes wrong, the last thing we want is a bad behaving security feature. Once finished the process, you will be able to activate all those again.
We will need some apps from XDA.
Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/twrp-meizu-mx4-pro-t3172573 and download the proper APK from Google drive (Say thank you, thank you, thank you to 29y6145). Put in a known folder in your SD
Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811 an download XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk. Put it in the same folder you have TRWP

For those in Flyme 5, download also xposed-v78-sdk22-arm.zip. Leave in SD root
For those in Flyme 4.5.7A, download xposed-v78-sdk21-arm.zip and leave in the SD root

Let’s begin with the process
First thing we need is root the Meizu. In Flyme 5 go to settings ´Fingerprint and security Root permission and root your device.
After the restart, your device is rooted. You can unroot executing again the “update.zip”, but if you unroot, you will lose all the new characteristics. If you update your Flyme, you will lose all this. Be advised.
Once properly rooted, take the file explorer and go to the APKS folder you prepared. Execute TWRP installer.
Look for the TWRP icon in your desktop and execute TWRP from that icon. Once inside, ask to “install TWRP”. This is the real TWRP installation. If asked for root privileges, allow them, and grant forever. TWRP needs those privileges. Once correctly installed, leave the program.
Every time throughout this process you are asked to grant root privileges to a program, give them and grant forever
Enter the TWRP program again, and ask to reboot to TWRP. If properly rooted and permissions granted, the phone will reboot but to a new start screen. The difficult part is done.

Please, keep in mind the root folder under TWRP browser of our “SD Card” is in /data/media/0 Thank you, an386 for your heads up.
Now, click on “install” button. Look for those “xposed v78” files and
In Flyme 5, choose to install xposed-v78-sdk22-arm.zip
In Flyme 4, choose to install xposed-v78-sdk21-arm.zip
Once done, click on “Reboot to system”
Now, be patient. The system will rebuild Dalvik’s cache, ant this takes time. Only to be concerned if in 10 mins your phone is not back
If everything has gone as expected, you are back with your telephone. Time to go to Apk’s folder and install XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk.
Go to play store and install Device Id IMEI Changer Xposed
Here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phoneinfo.changer
Execute xposed. Go to modules and activate the Id changer.
Reboot (normal)
Execute Id changer and put the proper info in your IMEI. You can find it in the box or in the battery.
Reboot (normal)
Tell us if your problems have gone and say thank you to all those developers that have helped us to solve our problems. Sure they will be willing to develop more if we leave some spare money we would spend in a beer in any case…
Enjoy the phone. Is a superb piece.

last edited by jrotaetxe

Hi,
Thank you for taking this all together.

After installing TWRP, the reboot TWRP doesn not work.
It reboot but load flyme not TWRP recovery…

I have done the installation 2 times with full erase/reinstall and I arrive to same at the end.

I wonder if as part of modoffying the IMEI the vendor have not installed another recovery that doesn t allow TWRP to setup properly.

regards
Erwan

Meizu MX4 Pro

@equigna
I really doubt
Install Super SU. Think is a matter of root rights. When SuperSu installed, uninstall and reinstall TWRP. You MUST see how SuperSu asks root rights for TWRP

you are great it worked.
uninstall twrp
install supersu - reboot
install twrp apk
open app - install twrp - exit
open app - reboot twrp
xposed … changed IMEI and it seems to work nicely IMEI in device info and #06 give correct IMEI
many thanks
erwan

Meizu MX4 Pro

Great.
Now, catch what is yours.
Regards

Guys who tried this approach, please share your experience, what was not working before and is that fixed by having a new IMEI?

@Overpoweredbanan, @bibou0007, @gefjon - did it resolve your issues with network?

@equigna, did you also have network issues before IMEI change, or what was your problem?

Hi,
I received a refurbished MX4 Pro with 0016… weird IMEI
I would prefer to have the correct IMEI number. Some Apps that read this IMEI number for security were not working.
All seems to be correct with the IMEI (but serial number still “unknown”) but the phone cannot register into my network (Free Mobile)
The signal is ok but when I try to phone i have a message “network not available”… if I try with other operator simcard it does work.

In fact if it works, it works whatever the IMEI I put, with Free Mobile it does not work whatever the IMEI I put … weid isn’t it !
Anyway thanks, I know that if i do not achieve to get refunded, it could be used, not 100% but 100% whasted.
Regards
Erwan

Meizu MX4 Pro

Seems the problem is not IMEI related…
But the possibility still persists. Please, keep us posted about your achievements. The test with other’s operator SIM is very interesting.
Also, if anyone knows how to discover the IMEI that the modem is using could be wonderful.
Regards

last edited by jrotaetxe

Hi @jrotaetxe,

Thank you for posting this guide. I’m stuck in the middle, and I could really use some advice on how to proceed.

First of all, I had exactly the same experience as @equigna - Reboot into TWRP didn’t work, I had to restart the procedure, install SuperSu and reboot before installing TWRP. So I guess you may want to adjust the guideline.

===============

However, when the phone booted into TWRP, problems began. I can see in File Manager that /sdcard folder is completely empty. I believe that is the folder that we call “root of SD card”, where we put “update.zip” and all other required files in this guide.

If I tap “Reboot -> System”, I get a warning “No OS installed! Are you sure you wish to reboot?”. At this point I say “no”, to keep myself in TWRP.

I’m happy to try to start over, but how could I put update.zip folder in my phone, so that I can flash it using normal recovery method (volume up + power)? I tried to connect to my computer, but the device is simply not recognized (tried both Linux and Windows). Tried 2 different USB cables, no luck :( What would you recommend me to try?

================

UPDATE: I figured out, the folder where all the files were saved is actually “/data/media/0”, and not “/sdcard”! All the files were present, and I was able to continue according to the guide. I would highly recommend adding this information to the guide itself :)

Will post my results separately when installation is complete and I perform all the tests.

last edited by an836

The IMEI changing procedure has completed successfully, but I don’t observe any differences with my problem.

===========================

So here’s my full experience.

Like several people on this forum, I had a weird 0016… IMEI. I clearly remember that this was the IMEI since the day I bought the phone, it didn’t suddenly change after an upgrade or anything like that - the IMEI was 0016… from the day one.

When I bought the phone, the firmware was 4.2.8.2A, the IMEI was 0016…, and the network just worked - I could call, I could send text messages, I could browse internet with 4G speed - all was good.
A week after I upgraded to 4.5.7A, the IMEI was still 0016…, and the network still worked for another week or so.

Until one day, while I was watching a video on youtube, the phone suddenly turned off. The battery level was approximately 20% at that time. The phone didn’t react on anything, holding Power button or VolumeUp+Power did nothing, even after I connected a charge cable to it.

I left the phone to charge, and after a few hours it turned on, on its own. All the apps and data were present, but since then the phone cannot discover 3G/4G network.

I tried:

• rebooting
  • flashing 4.2.8.2A
  • flashing 4.5.7.1A
  • changing IMEI (per this guide)
  • a 4G SIM card of a different operator
  • deleting APN and setting it up manually
  • Setting ‘LTE only’ mode in *#*#4636#*#*
  • Setting ‘Band 3 (1800 MHz)’ mode in *#*#4636#*#* (that’s the one my operator is using)

Always the same result - “No Service”. Without the last two steps performed, if I leave the phone for a while, it will connect to 2G (EDGE). I can make calls and send messages in 2G network, there’s no internet though.

One interesting observation is that sometimes a network icon becomes “3G”, but that doesn’t last long, and at that time there’s no internet anyway. So I assume the icon is just a confusion.

If I search for all available network operators, most of the times I get “network search error”, but once I received a list:

• <MyCarrierName> 2G
  • <MyCarrierName> 2G
  • <MyCarrierName> 3G
  • <MyCarrierName> 3G
  • <MyCarrierName> 4G
  • <MyCarrierName> 4G

Not sure why they were duplicated in pairs, but I couldn’t register in any of 4G or 3G networks manually anyway.

===========================

At this point I’m trying to understand if this is a hardware or a software issue, and I’m seeking for suggestions on how to do that. Judging by the number of people on this forum having similar experience, I want to believe this is a software issue, that we could fix for everyone :)

I installed an “LTE Discovery” app from play store, it has 2 sections - for LTE and for EDGE. Do you guys think that means that our phone has 2 antennas, one for 2G and one for 3G/4G? Interestingly enough, I see that from time to time both sections show some signal strength, as if both (antennas?) try to connect.

@jrotaetxe, you seem to know a lot about android internals. Do you know a way to get some low-level logs, that could confirm whether hardware works properly and antenna is really trying to connect? Maybe you have any other suggestion of an experiment, that I could run?

last edited by an836
Meizu MX4 Pro

@an386
So sorry you are facing problems with your phone. And sorry also I am not the person you expected. I do not know a lot about android, my bad.
The only thing I did is put some diverse info toghether as I was sufering a problem and tried to solve. I have taken your suggestion and modded my original post to cover that info. Sometimes one is so used to go to certanin places in the SD does not realise it was a difficulty in the beginning. I was also lost…
If you do not mind, I would suggest a couple of tests to try to define if it is hw or sw.
Try to use another provider’s SIM, if you can. If runs, the thing is clearly a Sw issue. If not, we should think is Hw and perhaps not IMEI related
Tell us if you are succesful with the IMEI correction and if you have different behaviour after the correction.
This second is difficult, but could help also. Try to find another user with a “tuned” mx4 pro using your provider. … A differential analisys could give us more info also.
Regards, and good luck

last edited by jrotaetxe

Maybe I am paranoid, or maybe it has already been posted, but the problem with the wierd IMEI occured after I updated to Flyme 4.5.4. And that was with a SIM card that was from a different country than China. The phone was shipped with Flyme 4.1…something, and everything worked and my IMEI was the one on the box. What I suspect, is that this problem comes injected in the firmware update itself, it’s not that the phone was being resold to me. So basically Meizu are protecting their sales on different markets, with prices in China that had been around 250-300 euros and the ones for Europe close to 500 euros, which totally makes sense to me from a business point of view.

Contributor

@Tipter-Alexandru said:

Maybe I am paranoid, or maybe it has already been posted, but the problem with the wierd IMEI occured after I updated to Flyme 4.5.4. And that was with a SIM card that was from a different country than China. The phone was shipped with Flyme 4.1…something, and everything worked and my IMEI was the one on the box. What I suspect, is that this problem comes injected in the firmware update itself, it’s not that the phone was being resold to me. So basically Meizu are protecting their sales on different markets, with prices in China that had been around 250-300 euros and the ones for Europe close to 500 euros, which totally makes sense to me from a business point of view.

nop… it have nothing to do with Meizu… its all those people who re-sell refurbished meizu devices…

Meizu MX4 Pro

@Latstyle said:

@Tipter-Alexandru said:

nop… it have nothing to do with Meizu… its all those people who re-sell refurbished meizu devices…

Yep…

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.