Meizu firmware update support duration

I’m considering Meizu Pro 5 as a candidate(beside Nexus 6P, 5X) for my next phone. Well I’m not expecting this phone to be like Nexus 6P in terms of updates, but how is it going to be really? Will Meizu support it’s flagship device for 2 years? Is there any plans for MX4 PRO to get marshmallow?

Contributor

@shahrooz get the Nexus 6P!
Pure Vanilla Android wipes the floor with the un-optimized Flyme.

Yes, Meizu will support it, but it will never optimized the operating system, for the phone. Flyme is not even close to be a challenge of Vanilla Android on a Nexus device. (Google writes Android for those things, so they are ahead.)

I don’t know if there is a plan for any phone to get Marshmallow, as of now. Nothing has been leaked or announced.

Edit: If you used a stock Android device before, the one button solution of Meizu and Flyme OS, might take a while for you to get used to it. Some people sold it because of this. Also there will be no custom Roms for Meizu! So either you like Flyme or you get a different phone.

last edited by Ultrametric

Thank you for the reply, I own a nexus 5 at the moment. I will definitely consider your advice.

last edited by shahrooz
Contributor

@shahrooz So you are used to stock Android.

Give it some thoughts, many things you are used to will be very different on Flyme. I’m a happy Flyme user as I never used stock Android :) had iOS and WIndoof on phones, that might make a difference.

But I could not imagine my girlfriend who has the Nexus 5 and stock Android get happy with my MX5.

last edited by Ultrametric

@Ultrametric the problem is my wallet won’t be too happy with Nexus 6P neither :sweat: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I guess I need to read/watch some Flyme reviews before making a decision. thanks for fast replies!

If only Nexus6P price in Europe was the sam as in the US, there would be no discussion.

@boober78 yes, the prices are ridiculously higher outside of US… However snapdragon 810 vs 7420, eMMC vs UFS 2.0, high quality sound DAC and louder headphones output vs medicore sound quality, headphones vs no headphones are some things one has to consider too.

last edited by shahrooz
Meizu MX4 Pro

@shahrooz if I had the choice I would rather take the pro 5 😊 I also came from nexus (nexus 4) and had no problems with the missing back button… also I like the design of the phone better… but as ultrametric mentioned nexus has no bugs and is more optimized…

@mx4pro thank you, I guess I’ll get this phone finally, just need some time to finalize my thoughts and make my decision.

Meizu MX4 Pro

@shahrooz ok but just make sure e.g if lte Bands work in your country …

Pro 5 is wonderful device. In terms of specs - it’s the best on the market at the moment. Battery life, performance, display and expandable storage altogether is a great package. The only flaw for some users might be different approach to UI. FlyMe is more iOS like. Users used to pure vanilla android experience could be confused. Besides, the updates are not so fast (in terms of android versions ofc), bootloader and recovery are both locked so no customs ROMs available. However, there are lots of nice additional features in FlyMe like gestures, security centre, themes… And don’t forget about THIS COMMUNITY ;)

@mx4pro My carrier is using LTE 1800 band, I can’t find Meizu pro 5 supported bands, I googled it but it doesn’t give me the numbers.
EDIT: I found it, it supports LTE band 3(1800)
according to GSMArena:
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - M576 model TD-SCDMA 1880 / 2010 - M576 model
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 7(2600), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) - M576 model

what is M576 model?

@boober78 to be honest I was very disappointed to see Meizu has a very small and inactive community in XDA , when I found this forum I got confident about an active, helping community.

last edited by shahrooz
Contributor

@shahrooz Don’t double post, you can edit posts by clicking the 3 dots.

M576 is the public Chinese.
M576H is the internatioanl version

and the rest are carrier specific phones for China.

All have identical hardware, but only M576 and M576H have the most 3G and 4G bands/frequencies enabled.

If you buy a Meizu from China, you usually want the M576, or in general the model without a letter behind the numbers.

Meizu MX4 Pro

@shahrooz then your lucky I gess, my carrier uses a not supported band :( im not able to use lte 4G :(

Admin

@shahrooz sadly even this forum is no longer a Meizu partner, due to their unreasonable behaviour towards us.
The devices themselves are good, but the firmwares are as the others already said, CRAP.

I for myself ordered a Honor 7, maybe you want to consider that one as well. Huawei makes solid devices with a proper OS.

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.