How to make a photo: shutter speed in daylight?

Hi to all :)

1. I would like to make good photo in daylight, photo like this one what i uploaded. Effect on waterfall. FB_IMG_1445177142930.jpg

Is this possible and how?

1. Effect like this just for nights is in camera stock application, shutter speed. It left the lights of cars on photo and etc… it is very good effect. But the problem is if I want to make picture without ISO, because the city have so much lights and i want to make a good photo but minimum ISO is 100 and it make everything bright.

Is possible to take picture without ISO?

last edited by iskomx5
Meizu MX4 Pro

what do you mean with “no ISO” ?
just a short explanation: if you turn the ISO higher, the picture becomes brighter but the quality is worse… if you put the ISO to 50 (the lowest Option) the photo is dark and needs a high shutter speed. then you have to keep your phone still otherwise your photo will be blurred.

Admin

It will take a lot of tweaking and accessories to reach something like the pic you posted with the camera of a smartphone - no matter the brand.

It is not possible to take a picture with “no ISO” (such thing doesn’t exist), but what you are looking for here is the lowest possible ISO setting your MX5 can get. And as you explained, you would want to work with a relatively long exposure time - therefore some kind of a stand/tripod wouldn’t hurt. It depends on what kind of a water stream you are working with - if you have the exact circumstances as in the photo you attached a shutter speed of a half a second should already be enough.

Increasing the shutter speed, however, also increases the brightness of the picture. Especially during daylight your photos are heavily prone to turn out over-exposed - no matter what kind of a camera you use. To avoid this, professional photographers use ND filters (neutral density), which basically let less of the light inside the image sensor. This way they can take longer-exposure shots and turn the water flow silky smooth - and most of the filters even add a cool tint and feel to the picture. It’s not any kind of extreme science but even for a complete manual control DSLR camera it requires extra work, accessories and some experimenting - therefore, using a smartphone, don’t expect this to be easy as simply taking a photo with a filter or something like that.

I suggest you try a ND filter specifically made for a smartphone (or DIY) and play around with everything Google Play has to offer. The more manual control you can get over your smartphones camera, the better. Play around with the settings you are given by the best camera app you can find - but don’t forget the filter. It is the key here if you really want to achieve the extreme level of smartphone photography. You could do lots of other cool stuff with the filter as well.

@samanen said:

It will take a lot of tweaking and accessories to reach something like the pic you posted with the camera of a smartphone - no matter the brand.

It is not possible to take a picture with “no ISO” (such thing doesn’t exist), but what you are looking for here is the lowest possible ISO setting your MX5 can get. And as you explained, you would want to work with a relatively long exposure time - therefore some kind of a stand/tripod wouldn’t hurt. It depends on what kind of a water stream you are working with - if you have the exact circumstances as in the photo you attached a shutter speed of a half a second should already be enough.

Increasing the shutter speed, however, also increases the brightness of the picture. Especially during daylight your photos are heavily prone to turn out over-exposed - no matter what kind of a camera you use. To avoid this, professional photographers use ND filters (neutral density), which basically let less of the light inside the image sensor. This way they can take longer-exposure shots and turn the water flow silky smooth - and most of the filters even add a cool tint and feel to the picture. It’s not any kind of extreme science but even for a complete manual control DSLR camera it requires extra work, accessories and some experimenting - therefore, using a smartphone, don’t expect this to be easy as simply taking a photo with a filter or something like that.

I suggest you try a ND filter specifically made for a smartphone (or DIY) and play around with everything Google Play has to offer. The more manual control you can get over your smartphones camera, the better. Play around with the settings you are given by the best camera app you can find - but don’t forget the filter. It is the key here if you really want to achieve the extreme level of smartphone photography. You could do lots of other cool stuff with the filter as well.

Thx a lot. I see on YT that they made this picture with ND filter. But the problem is that i cant find for smartphones. Can i use ND filter for DSLR and hold to phone to take the same picture? And i see there are mostly black filter but i see there are a meny other colors.

Admin

@iskomx5 said:

@samanen said:

Thx a lot. I see on YT that they made this picture with ND filter. But the problem is that i cant find for smartphones. Can i use ND filter for DSLR and hold to phone to take the same picture? And i see there are mostly black filter but i see there are a meny other colors.

There are ND filters designed especially for phones, like this one. (:arrow_backward: check the “before and after” comparison here, haha :smile: ) But you sure can get one for a DSLR and hold it (maybe with rubber bands), that’ll of course work as well. And if you get a soft edge ND plate, you can adjust the opacity of the effect nicely too ;)

Just to say i buy this ND filter and it is not good.

Admin

@iskomx5 said:

Just to say i buy this ND filter and it is not good.

Which ND filter did you buy exactly, and in what aspect is it not good? Did you get the one I linked to you?

@samanen yes. I buy one what you put the link. :( it is not good.

Admin

@iskomx5 said:

@samanen yes. I buy one what you put the link. :( it is not good.

In what aspect is it not good? This is what I wanted to ask earlier. Can you explain why is it bad? :worried: :neutral_face:

@iskomx5 saying it’s not good doesn’t really help anyone…do you not like it? is the quality bad? details,please.

The quality is ok. Production put on camera and it is very good quality, you can rotate and make ND filter darker or lighter. But he can make a whole camera good darker… i will post the photos and you Will see.

on day light you can even see through ND fillter.Thats is rP51102-123150.jpg P51102-123348.jpg

Too bad i cant make the photo i want :(

Admin

@iskomx5 said:

Too bad i cant make the photo i want :(

So is the bottom one in daylight or what? :D It is a bit difficult to help with this as not much info about what exactly is wrong is given… :worried:
It seems to work okay - you only need to use a longer shutter speed / exposure! Because your image being now darker with the ND you can now point it at a moving object at sunlight and take a pic with more exposure without the picture being overexposed. If pointed at a waterfall for example, you’ll get the silky smooth water effect that way! This is how ND filters are meant to use :)

But if I understood right that it’s the case that you can see through the filter clearly in the daylight, then what you forgot to do is to put your camera into manual mode to avoid your phone from automatically compensating the exposure. Now, adjust the exposure setting to zero or maybe even below if you need to, and shutter speed (one on the left if I remember right) to a long one, let’s say 16sec (or around) to start with. Also setting the ISO to the lowest possible might help.

@samanen

Ok I will try everything how you say just give me a more “tutorial”. Tell me what would you like to take a picture and on which options - ISO, sutter speed etc…

Admin

@iskomx5 You know it will be hard as I don’t even have the phone and I have no idea how the Camera App of your phone in combination with the image sensor performs and what value intervals they use and even if the values represent the real values. I already explained a “general” how-to in my previous post, but I will try my best to be even more clear:

1: Open camera, choose your target and go by it. Put camera into manual mode.
2: As said, I don’t know what values you can choose but choose a shutter time between 5-20 seconds. Only leave focus for automatic if you wish - but select a value for everything else! I would suggest you start off with relatively low ISO and 0 exposure.
3: Without the ND lens attached, go ahead and shoot a picture. It is overexposed (=too bright), right?
4: Attach the ND lens and take the picture again with the same settings. Better now?

Now all the movement in your picture should be blurred and your water will be silky smooth. Remember to use a tripod/stand/extremely steady hand!

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.