Meizu/Xiaomi Music Subscription
Meizu MX4

I have a few questions about the music subscription which meizu and xiaomi offer found in their Music app I believe.

Is it legitimate? Is the music sourced correctly/legally?

There is quite a big difference (RMB) in price between the meizu and xiaomi subscriptions, xiaomi being the cheaper, why is that?

Is it because of less music available in Meizu or something?

I am quite interested in buying a yearly subscription, meizu sell this for 120RMB which will cost around $30 from Hadron where as Xiaomi charge 48Mi credits which cost around $13 from Hadron, both are for 1 year and obviously the xiaomi deal is way better.

Well it is hard to answer these questions. I don’t know who are the suppliers behind it, if you can find them, you could come to know their answer. I once asked a chinese guy about and they said that streaming this way in China is completely legal.

Well did some more research: Xiaomi Music Stream is offered by Baidu. As far as I can see, they had some lawsuits in the past with the large Producers. Due to the legislation in China they could continue, but they settled the case by some agreements (to prevent blacklisting). They made an agreement to stream in China and not elsewhere, so you can say that using the service in Europe or the US is illegal. That is why the streaming service is not available in the International versions of the Meizu firmwares.

source: http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=a805fe33-f5d8-46ca-a1ab-9bdab8a0ab1b

The difference in price, we cannot answer that. We don’t know the deals they made with the music suppliers. Music quality could also be a difference, with Meizu you can download Flac, at Xiaomi you download high quality MP3. So the Normal VIP would be a better comparison?

Contributor

@oscar8u In General it is not possible to tell if something is legal or not, it depends of your country and if there was a similar case as yours before.

Like if you get sued and there is no similar case, or has never been a case like this before.
The judge or the court are to decide, if it is legal or not legal.

Until the first person get’s a law suit and is convicted, you are pretty much in a gray zone, where nobody can tell you if it is legal or not.

But be aware that I am a mathematician and not a lawyer! I can’t give you legal guidance. This is just to give you an idea.

last edited by Ultrametric
Meizu MX4

Thanks guys, very informative. From the article which kokkie provided it states that “Baidu will pay the record labels for each downloaded or streamed song and a share of the advertising revenue”. Although this is intended for china only, Baidu are generating income from international customers, with the help of people like Hadron who sell the RMB and Mi Credits required to purchase subscriptions, I’m assuming they also generate some income from advertising to international customers aswell.
In other words Baidu are paying for international customers who download or stream music from their servers, so the music can be thought of as legally obtained.

Don’t know to be honest but at least we know that the music found in the Xiaomi and Meizu app is legal in china and for US and Europe it’s maybe legal. Lol

Btw according to another post I found in this forum meizu source their music from Baidu aswell not just Xiaomi.

@AOKP said:

And Baidu pays a small amount to the copyright owners, so it is legal.

Well, I don’t agree. Depends on their specific agreements. If they agreed to make the service available in China only and it seems to be possible to use it in Europe, it is not legal. The first person accountable is of course Baidu, but also our government could say: The music service should be only available in China and therefore it is not allowed here, so we can make you accountable for it.

The statement, well they pay for it, so it is legal, is so short-sighted. It all depends on agreements. And can you answer my question: If it is legal, why is it not available in international firmware.

BTW: You don’t have to worry about that you are caught I guess.

Admin

@Kokkie said:

@AOKP said:

And Baidu pays a small amount to the copyright owners, so it is legal.

Well, I don’t agree. Depends on their specific agreements. If they agreed to make the service available in China only and it seems to be possible to use it in Europe, it is not legal. The first person accountable is of course Baidu, but also our government could say: The music service should be only available in China and therefore it is not allowed here, so we can make you accountable for it.

The statement, well they pay for it, so it is legal, is so short-sighted. It all depends on agreements. And can you answer my question: If it is legal, why is it not available in international firmware.

BTW: You don’t have to worry about that you are caught I guess.

Well you are right, however I guess the chinese firmware is using a tunneled connection anyway to download the music.
The services basically use GeoIP to get your location, so there is either a special user agent set for the Music app or a tunneled connection.

By the way, I do not think that these chinese services anyway for the government, because they are usually locked for us.

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.