Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!

• [Guide] How to install (I) International firmware on your Chinese-mainland Meizu.

This guide will show you methods on how to install international firmware on your Chinese mainland Meizu device.

People that bought a Meizu device meant for the Chinese market were not able to install international firmware on their device. If one tried to install it the device would show an error/corruption message. However, one of the guides below allows you to install an I-rom on your non-international Meizu device. Method 1 and 2 do this by bypassing the original recovery and device version check. Method 3 does this by changing the device ID, which turns your device into an international one and allows you to install I firmware the regular way.

Advantages

Advantages method 1: very easy, no Chinese applications, default Google Play Services, more supported languages, OTA remains.
    Disadvantage method 1: only supports certain Meizu devices.

Advantages method 2, 3 and 4: Rather safe method (leaves bootloader and original recovery untouched), no Chinese applications, default Google Play Services, more supported languages.
    Disadvantage method 2, 3 and 4: OTA-update not possible (you can always update manually via these methods again).

Which method to use?

• Method 1: by far the easiest and quickest option. However, it only works on a few MTK devices. If you, for example, own a MX4, MX4 Pro or a Pro 5 you must use method 2 or 3.
    • Method 2: same as method 3; the only difference is that you run the commands in the Android Terminal Emulator on your phone. This involves less preparation and does not require a computer.
    • Method 3: pretty detailed and requires some preparation on your PC. If you don’t want to mess around with getting ADB working properly, I would advise you to use method 1 or 2.
    • Method 4: similar to method 2, however it is for the Pro 6 only.

Note: make sure you’re on the most recent non-international firmware version before you decide to switch. Always read the method carefully before carrying it out. If you encounter any problems please read the Q&A at the end of this post.

Contents

METHOD 1: REPLACING/CHANGING PHONE ID (only for M1 Note, M2, M2 Note and MX5)

• Required before command.
    • The installation procedure through the terminal.

METHOD 2: INSTALLATION THROUGH THE TERMINAL (WITHOUT PC)

• Required before using the terminal
    • The installation procedure through the terminal

METHOD 3: INSTALLATION THROUGH ADB VIA PC

• Required before installation (root,busybox,debugging,drivers).
    • Pre-installation procedure (ADB files, setup, and checking command)
    • The installation through ADB (system image,install command, reboot)

METHOD 4: INSTALLATION THROUGH THE TERMINAL (WITHOUT PC)

• The installation procedure

EXTRA

• Alternative/separate download links (firmware, tools, image files)
    • Answers to some questions and errors

METHOD 1: REPLACING/CHANGING PHONE ID

Note: This method basically turns your device into an international one and allows you to install I firmware the regular way. This method is only meant for the M1 Note, M2 (Note) and MX5. It is confirmed working on the previous mentioned models. Please, apply this at your own risk. You can always use method 2 or 3 which should be safer because they don’t ‘change’ anything. However, this method is much easier and quicker, besides it has been completed successfully numerous times.

1. Enable root or make sure you have root privileges

• Enable root by tapping on Settings-> Accounts-> My Flyme-> Personal settings (first option) -> System privileges and set it to open - accept disclaimer and confirm. (In Flyme 5.x system privileges is under fingerprint and security*).

2. Download and copy the correct chid. sh file to your phone ( copy to root of your device).

3. (Download and) Launch an Android Shell Terminal Emulator and type the following commands

su

now wait until the $ sign changes in to # (it should change, if not you don’t have root (privileges).

sh /sdcard/chid.sh

x. This should backup your current/original phone ID, replace/change the ID, and reboot your phone.

Now you should be able to install I (global) firmware the regular way, which means via an update.zip and the original Meizu recovery. After applying OTA should work too, which is not the case with methods 2 and 3.

Note: If the command does not work try sh /storage/emulated/0/chid.sh instead. Side-note: if you prefer you can apply this method/command via ADB too.

END OF METHOD 1

METHOD 2: INSTALLATION THROUGH THE TERMINAL

1. Enable root

• Enable root by tapping on Settings-> Accounts-> My Flyme-> Personal settings (first option) -> System privileges and set it to open - accept disclaimer and confirm.

2. Download and successfully install Busybox (from Google Play or see .apk below)

3. Download and install a Terminal Emulator (from Google Play or see apk below)

4. Download the correct and desired international (i) ROM/firmware (update.zip) for your device

5. Download and use the update.zip (firmware) converter that creates the required system-i.img

• Click here to download converter first
    • Copy system.new.dat and system.transfer.list (from the update.zip) to the folder “in” (see converter folder)
    • Then start the converting process by starting System-conVERTER.cmd and pressing option 1 [enter]
    • If successfully converted you can find the system-i.img in the ‘‘out’’ folder.

6. Copy the converted system-img from ‘‘out’’ to the internal memory of your Meizu device

7. Go to Settings-> Display-> Sleep and set it to at least 10 minutes

8. Start the Terminal Emulator and run (type) the super user command

su

• A permission popup will come; give permission by tapping allow (always allow).

9. Now run (type) the command for installing the system-img.

dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/XXXXXXX/by-name/system

• Replace XXXXXXX with the correct partition system for your device
      MX4 Pro = 15540000.dwmmc0
      M2 note = mtk-msdc.0
      MX4 = mtk-msdc.0 (OR mmcblk0p6)
      MX5 = mtk-msdc.0 (OR mmcblk0p18)
      Pro 5 = 15570000.ufs

Example for MX5 : dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/system
    Note: Pro5 might require: dd if=/storage/emulated/0/system.img instead of /sdcard/

10. The installation should start after the ‘‘dd if’’ command, but please note…

• …it may seem that the copying/process did NOT start because you didn’t notice it, but it DID start.
    • do NOT type a new command or whatsoever, just…
    • …be patient and give your device 5-10 minutes to process.

11. When the process is done you’ll see a # at the very end

• Your device should be unresponsive by now - this is normal

12. Now just shutdown your phone (hold power button) and reboot it

13. Once successfully booted your device should be running an I-rom

• Once in Flyme again it is wise - but not necessary - to completely reset your phone. Go to settings->about phone->memory->factory data reset-> check both boxes and click start cleaning (this could take 5-10minutes). Always backup your stuff if necessary.

END OF METHOD 2

METHOD 3:

INSTALLATION THROUGH ADB VIA PC

3.1 Required before using ADB command to install:**

1. Rooted device (Flyme account required).

• Enable root by tapping on Settings-> Accounts-> My Flyme-> Personal settings (first option) -> System privileges and set it to open - accept disclaimer and confirm.
      root.jpg

2. Busybox (SuperSU should be possible too) installed.

• You can download and install busybox from Google Play or search for the .apk file yourself.
      Note: make sure it is installed successfully.

3. Setting up phone

• 3.1 Set your device on ‘connect as Built-in CD-ROM’ (settings->about phone->storage->connect as).

• 3.2 Connect the phone to your PC and copy the ‘‘USB Drivers’’ folder from your phone to your desktop.

• 3.3 Go to settings->accessibility->developer options and enable ‘‘debugging’’ and mock locations.

4. Install ADB drivers

• 4.1 Open Windows Device Management (search: devmgmt.msc). You’ll see a yellow exclamation mark at ‘‘Androidphone/ADB interface’’ - right click on it and click update driver. Click browse my computer for driver software (2nd option) and then click on browse and locate the driver folder you copied from your Meizu phone to your computer (at step 3.2). If it installs your good to go to pre-install if not go to step 4.2.
    • 4.2 [Optional] When trying to manually install the drivers Windows could give a error like ‘‘the driver is corrupt or has been tampered’’ If this is the case you’ll need to Disable Driver Signature Verification.
      How to: (1) Hold down the SHIFT key while you click Restart. (2) Once rebooted click the Troubleshoot option. (3) Click Advanced options. (4) Click Startup Settings. (5) Click Restart. (6) Now Disable ‘‘driver signature enforcement’’ by pressing F7 (7th option in the list). (7) Now you’ll be able to install the driver - at step 4.1 - without an error.

3.2 Now you can start the pre- installation procedure.

1. Download ADB (files) folder click to download ADB files

• Download (see link above) and unzip the folder.

2. Setting up .android folder

• Go to ‘‘c:\Users\your name\android’’ and create or edit the ‘‘adb_usb.ini’’ file in this folder. Create it by making a txt file and name it to adb_usb.ini (don’t forget to replace .txt by .ini). Open the adb_usb.ini file with notepad for example and add the following text in it: 0x2a45

Note: If there is no .android folder, run the commands in step 3 and search again, also check ADB-drivers.

3. Checking driver and connection

• Start ADB shell by clicking the .bat file in the downloaded and unzipped adb folder. (运行 means run)
    • In the just started ADB shell run (type) the following 2 commands:
    adb kill-server 
    adb devices 

After the 2 commands mentioned above you should see your device below ‘‘list of devices attached’’.

Note: [Important] If the device list is empty it does not recognize your device and you should check: if you installed your drivers correctly, if the .android file exists and if it contains the adb_usb.ini file with 0x2a45 in it. If you sure you did - try rebooting your PC or kill the adb.exe process - and connect/reconnect your device again - and run (type) the command again. If you’re getting a ''Permission denied" error make sure you have busybox or SU correctly installed and that you did all the other required steps (root, debugging,mock).

3.3 The Installation through ADB

1. Download the correct and desired international (i) ROM/firmware (update.zip) for your device

2. Now download and use the update.zip (firmware) converter that creates the required system-i.img

• Click to download converter and unpack the Converter_system_Lollipop folder to your PC.
    • Copy the files ‘‘system.new.dat’’ and system.transfer.list from the update.zip to the ‘‘in’’ folder of converter.
    • If you copied the two above files to ‘‘in’’ start the process by clicking on System-conVERTER.cmd
    • When completed you should have the required image in the ‘‘out’’ (you’ll need it for updating).

4. Now copy the created image from the ‘‘out’’ folder to the root of your device.

• Copy it to internal system memory of your device

5. Open ADB by clicking the (运行) run.bat file in the ADB folder and type the following 3 commands.

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/**XXXXXXX**/by-name/system

IMPORTANT:
    Replace **XXXXXXX **with the correct partition system for your device.

MX4 Pro = 15540000.dwmmc0
    M2 note = mtk-msdc.0 
    MX4 = mtk-msdc.0 (OR mmcblk0p6)
    MX5 = mtk-msdc.0 (OR mmcblk0p18)
    Pro 5 = 15570000.ufs

So for the MX5, for example, your command will be:

dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/system

Note: After giving the ‘‘su’’ command your smartphone may ask for confirmation tap allow/confirm on your screen.

6. The installation command will take some time (± 5min).

• After it is done you’ll see some records in and out and at the very end the following sign: ‘#’;. If this is the case it is done.

7. Your phone should be updated by now, but your device will be unresponsive, this is normal.

• Hold the power button for 5-10 seconds to shut it down. Now start it up again and wait for it to update apps etc. and your phone has updated successfully. However, once in Flyme again it is wise - but not*necessary - to completely reset your phone. Go to settings->about phone->memory->factory data reset-> check both boxes and click start cleaning (this could take 5-10minutes [Note: this deletes everything!!!]

Note: if the booting - after flashing/updating - takes longer than 15 minutes go to recovery and factory reset it and try again (boot with volume-up button + power button to access recovery).

METHOD 4 (Pro 6 only)

1. Download this.

• This is a sh script, which will do most of the work for you. What we want to do is to execute it.

2. Download the latest G firmware.

3. Root your device and install Terminal Emulator or any other Terminal software.

• Go to Settings>Fingerprint and security>Root permission. Be sure to be logged into Flyme, otherwise it might happen that the option will not show up.

4. Place the pro.sh file and the update.zip in the root of your storage.

• Do not mess this up with the actual root directory ("/") of your device. Best would be if you use the standard document app to move the file.
    • If you use a different file explorer than the stock one, e.g. ES File Explorer move the file to /sdcard.

5. Run the following commands in the Terminal:

su
    sh /sdcard/pro.sh

• The installation is taking process now. Wait a few minutes until it is over.

END OF METHOD 4

Alternative/separate download links

Original FlymeOS update.zip (firmware)

Tools

ROM image files

Answers to some questions and errors

• Q.: I’m getting a ‘‘permission denied’’ error
      A.: Make sure you have root and that busybox is installed. Also, make sure you gave the su command and that you tapped allow permission on your screen. If it still doesn’t work completely deinstall busybox reboot and install superSU and grant superSU premission (see below)

• Q.: I’m getting an other root related error
      A.: Try using SuperSU instead of busybox. Make sure both are installed correctly. Try a reboot or use both.

• Q.: I’m getting a system.img: no such file or directory error
      A.: The ‘’ dd if’'command has to be EXACTLY the same as given. The system-i.img or system.img should be in the root of (internal memory) your device and its name should match with the one you give in the command line. Mind spaces, dots, dashes etc. If it still doesn’t work try dd if=/storage/emulated/0/system.img of=/ etc… instead.

• Q.: Can I update to a newer rom via OTA (upgrade app)?
      A.: With method 2, 3 and 4 you cannot. You have to flash via these methods again. With method 1 you can.

• Q.:How can I revert back to an A (C,U) rom?
      A.: Download the desired rom, copy the update.zip to your device and install/update via the stock recovery.
      Note: boot with volume up button + power button to access recovery. Besides, I advise you to do a full factory reset after downgrading.

• Q.: My phone is not booting anymore or does not get past the Meizu bootscreen.
      A.: (if you encounter any corruption errors or other boot errors tick ‘‘clear data’’ too)
      1.Download an original/compatible update.zip (on your pc).
      2.Shut down your phone and…start up in recovery mode (how to see below ->)
      (press and hold! the volume up button and then the power button. Hold them both until you see the Meizu logo).
      3.Now connect your phone to a pc and it should recognize it as ‘recovery’ drive.
      4.Copy and paste the (downloaded) update.zip to the ‘recovery’ drive on your pc.
      5.If done tap ‘system update’ and click the blue colored ‘start’.
      x. Your phone should reboot.

Sources:

• posted that days ago in MX4pro section… and as i understood you cant just take ANY International firmware and flash it. it must be converted. so those links for firmware that are in original post must be used only.

• @Latstyle said:

posted that days ago in MX4pro section… and as i understood you cant just take ANY International firmware and flash it. it must be converted. so those links for firmware that are in original post must be used only.

Okey, didn’t know that, but I saw your post just now. I used the same guide on XDA, but I had some problems with it, so I decided to make a more detailed instruction for it.

• @Abaggie said:

@Latstyle said:

posted that days ago in MX4pro section… and as i understood you cant just take ANY International firmware and flash it. it must be converted. so those links for firmware that are in original post must be used only.

Okey, didn’t know that, but I saw your post just now. I used the same guide on XDA, but I had some problems with it, so I decided to make a more detailed instruction for it.

yeah your guide is great. and about converting im not sure… its just what i saw in original post.
    asdasd.png

• Yes, I know all the links to the roms in my guide are converted roms by 29y6145. But you need to convert a rom you cannot use a regular update.zip indeed.

• i s not a real convertion, ist more decompressing … DAT to IMG

for create your system.img
    Dl desired update.zip version I you want
    unzip files system.transfer.list, system.new.dat under folder then add sdat2img.exe

https://mega.nz/#!WU8G1LrD!osywHf0XeaCN9NJd2lBLdJdkKk0H9Dg2ZTLThptZCg8
    then launch command under cmd :
    sdat2img system.transfer.list system.new.dat system.img

and VOILA ! … easy … no need to dl it from unkown source, just do it yourself

more info here
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software-hacking/how-to-conver-lollipop-dat-files-to-t2978952

• what about the key : julienviey
    Thanks

• Yeah, need to enter decryption key on mega. @julienviey can you check your mega link please.

• another tips is
    when you flash I version to chinese phone you loose the ability to download music on Music native apk, so here is the trick to get back full Music option like in chinese Fw

just edit your build.prop

ro.product.cpu.abi=arm64-v8a
    ro.product.cpu.abilist=arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi
    ro.product.cpu.abilist32=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
    ro.product.cpu.abilist64=arm64-v8a
    ro.product.locale.language=en
    ro.product.locale.region=US

to :

ro.product.cpu.abi=arm64-v8a
    ro.product.cpu.abilist=arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi
    ro.product.cpu.abilist32=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
    ro.product.cpu.abilist64=arm64-v8a
    ro.product.locale.language=zh
    ro.product.locale.region=CN

then save and reboot

• Hi guys!
    @Abaggie thaks for your post. I really want to buy Meizu M2 Note, but it is not officially available in Poland - I can buy it from a direct importer, but the phone comes with the ‘U’ version (why U, da fu?). But I asked and they said they can install the newest stable A or I before sending it to me, so I won’t risk bricking the phone myself.

4.5.3i’s changelog lists some memory and stability problems as being fixed, so I guess it is worth it. All China-tailored apps are gone, and Google Play and other Google apps are included out-of-the-box, so I guess it is a better option for me as some people are having some issues with Google Play and some Google apps etc. in A versions.

However, I wanted to ask how the (originally Chinese version) phone behaves after being flashed with the official international version. Will OTG updates work? Will normal updates (by direct usage of the official update.zip file) with international Flyme releases start working on that OS, or not? Any experiences or knowledge? I would guess they would as that protection is probably a part of the OS, but not sure… Maybe that’s the bootloader (I know how Linux works, but not much knowledge about Android, sorry).

P.S. Do I need to use the ADB shell? Would a terminal emulator on rooted Meizu work if I just tapped that dd command to flash the rom? Or is it just safer with ADB or what (as maybe the terminal emulator could crash when the file system is rebuild or sth?). Would definitely be much easier without using a PC at all. What does that Chinese-named BAT file do?

Thanks for all the info!

• “… Segmentation fault
    139:root@m2note:/ #”

• @AlexJ said:

Thanks for all the info!

A Chinese mainland Meizu will work just fine after updating it to a i-rom via this method. However, OTG updates will not work, you will have to update your device via this method again. Every time your doing a ‘regular’ update your phone checks it original recovery and device version, that’s why you’ll get a corruption error when trying to update to an i-rom on your a,c,u - device. This method just bypasses that ‘check’ and it doesn’t touch the bootloader or original recovery. So If you want to revert back to an A-rom you can update it via the original meizu recovery.

You don’t necessarily need to use ADB shell, you can do in with terminal emulator too, because at the end you’re doing the same thing. There are people who updated successfully via an emulator - also see XDA thread. 运行 just means run, so it says run.bat - and it starts the ADB shell nothing more .

@turrista said:

“… Segmentation fault
    139:root@m2note:/ #”

Make sure your device is rooted correctly and that busybox is installed successfully too. Also double check if you enabled debugging and mock locations, and if your device is recognized.

• after reboot, it is OK. But I am on 4.5.2I. Upgrade to 4.5.3.I with official 4.5.3I zip file?

• turrista … bec the link here is wrong so made the 4.5.3 I by yourself or DL my file here :)

https://mega.nz/#!qRcVFIZZ!QEzwKpQw7egiY7Hkt6tRUv9TdlO32FmAXpZW2BP9buk

or

for create your system.img
    Dl desired update.zip version I you want
    unzip files system.transfer.list, system.new.dat under folder then add sdat2img.exe

https://mega.nz/#!WU8G1LrD!osywHf0XeaCN9NJd2lBLdJdkKk0H9Dg2ZTLThptZCg8
    then launch command under cmd :
    sdat2img system.transfer.list system.new.dat system.img

and VOILA ! … easy … no need to dl it from unkown source, just do it yourself

Posts 589Views 518654

Looks like your connection to [Guide] How to install (I) International firmware on your Chinese-mainland Meizu. was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.