Bootloop - Meizu MX4

Hi all!

First of all I’m new to Meizu and the Flyme OS. I had this phone for about a month. Never updated, never rooted, I don’t even know, what version I was running. The phone was from an official international channel as a demo unit (TCCM Europe to be specific), and it used an international ROM (I had Hungarian language in it).

Here is the thing. I put the phone to the charger one night (may 7th) and in the morning the following happens. The phone vibrates on my nightstand every few seconds. The screen lights up, the Meizu logo comes on, then a vibration, few seconds, and the phone reboots, this in an infinite loop. Maybe it got an OTA update, I don’t know, it was on factory settings. So I take it off the charger, not hot or anything. Tried to press the power button to turn it off. Nothing. Battery can’t be removed, I know that. So I try to figure a way to turn it off. Took out the SIM. Tried to press the Power+VolUp combo. Nothing, there is no recovery menu, or the phone reboots before it could enter into that. The Power+VolDown combo does bring up the fastboot mode thou, but even that will reboot in a few seconds. I had to go to work, so I simply left the phone home, hoping it will run out of battery by the time I get home, and will turn off. Well, little bugger actually took more than a day to finally run our of juice.

There are two possibilities coming to my mind: either I got an OTA upgrade that somehow went awry and damaged the phone, or my power button is broken, permanently pressed in and is causing the reboot. I put the phone on a charger today (may 10th), and in a few miutes the phone turned on and started it’s usual reboot loop, only this time not the Meizu logo, but the Low Battery notification. I disconnected it and waited till it run out of juice again, then pressed the power button. The phone turned on and did a few reboot before shutting off again. From this I think my power button is not physically damaged.

The phone is not mine, it was sent to me from a partner company as a test device and I would like to give it back to them in a working condition.

If this is a known issue or anybody have any ideas, I would be grateful.

last edited by Kokkie

@‘zdanee’ said:

Hi all!

First of all I’m new to Meizu and the Flyme OS. I had this phone for about a month. Never updated, never rooted, I don’t even know, what version I was running. The phone was from an official international channel as a demo unit (TCCM Europe to be specific), and it used an international ROM (I had Hungarian language in it).

Here is the thing. I put the phone to the charger one night (may 7th) and in the morning the following happens. The phone vibrates on my nightstand every few seconds. The screen lights up, the Meizu logo comes on, then a vibration, few seconds, and the phone reboots, this in an infinite loop. Maybe it got an OTA update, I don’t know, it was on factory settings. So I take it off the charger, not hot or anything. Tried to press the power button to turn it off. Nothing. Battery can’t be removed, I know that. So I try to figure a way to turn it off. Took out the SIM. Tried to press the Power+VolUp combo. Nothing, there is no recovery menu, or the phone reboots before it could enter into that. The Power+VolDown combo does bring up the fastboot mode thou, but even that will reboot in a few seconds. I had to go to work, so I simply left the phone home, hoping it will run out of battery by the time I get home, and will turn off. Well, little bugger actually took more than a day to finally run our of juice.

There are two possibilities coming to my mind: either I got an OTA upgrade that somehow went awry and damaged the phone, or my power button is broken, permanently pressed in and is causing the reboot. I put the phone on a charger today (may 10th), and in a few miutes the phone turned on and started it’s usual reboot loop, only this time not the Meizu logo, but the Low Battery notification. I disconnected it and waited till it run out of juice again, then pressed the power button. The phone turned on and did a few reboot before shutting off again. From this I think my power button is not physically damaged.

The phone is not mine, it was sent to me from a partner company as a test device and I would like to give it back to them in a working condition.

If this is a known issue or anybody have any ideas, I would be grateful.

First of all, could you adjust your topic title: Bootloop Meizu MX4. And please use the [Problem] tag.

Automatic OTA update is not the problem in my opinion. The OTA updates I received were not installed automatically, I had to give permission by hand.

There are two options you could try:
1. Reflash the firmware via the recovery mode. If you know your current firmware version, download it, you can recover it without losing data. Otherwise you could try one of the most up-to-date firmware versions, if it does not work, you will have to erase data during the second time.

You can access the recovery mode by using the volume+ button when your phone boots. Usually I hold the volume+ button and than use the power button to boot till it gives a sign of life.

When you are in recovery mode, you could connect the phone to your computer and it should be visible as a USB-drive. Put the downloaded firmware on the drive, disconnect and tap recover.

2. Remove the screwed backcover and disconnect the battery.

Edit: you accessed the recovery mode already? But your phone rebooted within seconds? Than it has to be something with the power button. Just try to press it several times and use the backlash of the button to move it a little bit around to see if this helps.

@‘Kokkie’ said:

@‘zdanee’ said:

Hi all!

First of all I’m new to Meizu and the Flyme OS. I had this phone for about a month. Never updated, never rooted, I don’t even know, what version I was running. The phone was from an official international channel as a demo unit (TCCM Europe to be specific), and it used an international ROM (I had Hungarian language in it).

Here is the thing. I put the phone to the charger one night (may 7th) and in the morning the following happens. The phone vibrates on my nightstand every few seconds. The screen lights up, the Meizu logo comes on, then a vibration, few seconds, and the phone reboots, this in an infinite loop. Maybe it got an OTA update, I don’t know, it was on factory settings. So I take it off the charger, not hot or anything. Tried to press the power button to turn it off. Nothing. Battery can’t be removed, I know that. So I try to figure a way to turn it off. Took out the SIM. Tried to press the Power+VolUp combo. Nothing, there is no recovery menu, or the phone reboots before it could enter into that. The Power+VolDown combo does bring up the fastboot mode thou, but even that will reboot in a few seconds. I had to go to work, so I simply left the phone home, hoping it will run out of battery by the time I get home, and will turn off. Well, little bugger actually took more than a day to finally run our of juice.

There are two possibilities coming to my mind: either I got an OTA upgrade that somehow went awry and damaged the phone, or my power button is broken, permanently pressed in and is causing the reboot. I put the phone on a charger today (may 10th), and in a few miutes the phone turned on and started it’s usual reboot loop, only this time not the Meizu logo, but the Low Battery notification. I disconnected it and waited till it run out of juice again, then pressed the power button. The phone turned on and did a few reboot before shutting off again. From this I think my power button is not physically damaged.

The phone is not mine, it was sent to me from a partner company as a test device and I would like to give it back to them in a working condition.

If this is a known issue or anybody have any ideas, I would be grateful.

First of all, could you adjust your topic title: Bootloop Meizu MX4. And please use the [Problem] tag.

Automatic OTA update is not the problem in my opinion. The OTA updates I received were not installed automatically, I had to give permission by hand.

There are two options you could try:
1. Reflash the firmware via the recovery mode. If you know your current firmware version, download it, you can recover it without losing data. Otherwise you could try one of the most up-to-date firmware versions, if it does not work, you will have to erase data during the second time.

You can access the recovery mode by using the volume+ button when your phone boots. Usually I hold the volume+ button and than use the power button to boot till it gives a sign of life.

When you are in recovery mode, you could connect the phone to your computer and it should be visible as a USB-drive. Put the downloaded firmware on the drive, disconnect and tap recover.

2. Remove the screwed backcover and disconnect the battery.

Edit: you accessed the recovery mode already? But your phone rebooted within seconds? Than it has to be something with the power button. Just try to press it several times and use the backlash of the button to move it a little bit around to see if this helps.

Thanks for the answer. I can’t access the recovery mode before the phone reboots. I can access Fastboot mode (Pwr + vol-), but it also reboots within seconds, so I can’t transfer the update.zip to the phone and can’t flash it either. I suspected there is something wrong with the power button, but it “clicks” like normal, and it seems to function normal as well (when the phone’s battery is empty and I press the power button, it will turn the phone on, before it runs out of juice altogether). I already tried to click it a few hundred times to see if it fixes it, but no such luck. I never dropped it and it never got wet, not even in a rain, I only had it for about a month. I don’t want to disassemble the phone because it’s not mine and is within warranty. I was hoping there is some hidden reset hole to disconnect the battery without taking the phone apart, thou.

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/oRAXBRwOjDk[/video]

Same problem that I have with my MX4 , I´ve no solution …:s

Look here and here

Just wait. It will start after million reboots without any reason. Had the same problem.

@‘Manu-Meizu’ said:

Just wait. It will start after million reboots without any reason. Had the same problem.

:huh: is this the solution to solve the problem

There is no solution. Just bring phone to service, and wait , wait, wait

I’ve put the phone on a charger and let it do it’s thing for the last two days. In fact I warped it into several towels and put it in a drawer because it kept vibrating every few seconds and was driving me nuts. It’s still doing it’s reboot loops this morning, so yes, it will go back to service. I just hope the post office won’t think it’s a ticking bomb because of the constant vibrations…

If you press power button, it can turn off i think. Or wait that empty battery and then send

Just had the same problem as i was upgrading to the new lollipop beta version, hated it then came back
and then it started to happen

to fix that you need to power off your phone (hold the power button for 5 seconds)
turn it on again while pressing the volume up and then choose clear user data.

worked for me!

i think…

I have the same problem with my MX4. Now i can’t turn off the phone or get into the recovery mode.

The power button does not works as well.

Does anyone know how to fix it? please help.

After many many times to press the power button, the phone is working itseft. I think that was the problem with the power button. Now, i upgraded the OS to 4.5.3A, the problem now when i press (not hold) the power button one time, after 3 seconds the power is off. Sometime, the phone is restarted without any reasons or cannot received the sms message. I was thinking to sell my MX4 but i love the screen and the its design. Hmm.

can you help me?my mx4pro is bootlop can’t go to home screen T,T
elp me please

Meizu MX4

There are a few possibilities:

  1. Something went wrong while charging (happens to the best of phones if you are unlucky) - something could have shorted or overvoltage happened and protection failed…

  2. It managed to brick itself with an OTA update. If it did manage to brick itself, there is sadly not much you can do…

Looks like your connection to Meizufans was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.